Saturday, December 12, 2009

Tack Castle

Nothing says 'welcome' quite like the British flag flying outside a German family home.



This was the reception I received when I arrived to stay with Brigitte and Peter, close family friends who I had not seen for many years. On my first night we went for a drive round Hamburg which gave me the opportunity to see some of the city sights by night. Hamburg has more bridges than Venice and the whole city has waterways intersecting the streets. It was an interesting first glimpse at the city.






The weather was not brilliant during my stay but it is winter and to be expected. What made up for the weather was the brilliant cooking skills of Brigitte. Never in my life have I felt so well fed quite so consistently. Breakfast would involve of fresh bread, cheese, different types of sausage, salmon, turkey and jam. For dinner we ate a type of meat wrapped in cabbage leaves and on another evening had steak and potato with bacon. For lunch when I was out exploring Hamburg Brigitte even made me a sandwich and packed fruit in my bag!


(Breakfast with the Tack Family)


On my second full day with the Tacks we went to the city and took a bus tour of the area. The tour was in English and it gave me the opportunity to learn about the different areas of Hamburg. I did not know that the Beatles music career started in Hamburg and was surprised to turn a corner and see an old submarine floating in the water!





Staying in Hamburg was my first time for many months living in a family home environment and I was made to feel so welcome. In the future when people ask where I stayed in Hamburg I will say that I stayed somewhere better than the Four Seasons or the Marriot, I stayed at Tack Castle.




bx

No comments:

Post a Comment