Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Markets of Berlin

I could live in Berlin for twelve months or more, which is the highest score I can give a city. With the trip almost over Jen and I have been reminiscing about the places we have been, rating them according to how long we could live there. A snapshot example of a few of my ratings would be:

Kuala Lumpur: 1 Month
Phnom Penh: 6 Months
Hanoi: 12 Months
Beijing: 3 Months
Moscow: 12 Months
Berlin: 12 Months

Berlin scores high partly because of the Christmas markets. I imagined one street of stalls selling food and gifts but instead I found an entire Christmas city. Some stalls were two stories high and the complex was huge. The food was straight from the oven and delicious. I ate Pretzels, Bratwurst, cheese toasted rolls and consumed lots of warm Glugwein with shots of rum which made me feel very festive!

There were multiple Christmas markets around the city and each one had different fairground activities. Jen and I went ice skating near our hostel and I'm proud to say I did not fall over!




(One of the hundreds of food stalls at the Christmas markets)



Whilst the Christmas markets were incredible we had to leave during daylight hours and explore the city. Jen and I studied the cold war and in particular the Berlin Wall at school so were interested to see the locations we had previously only read about in books or seen on television.


(The Reichstag, note the glass dome on the roof)


(view from the glass dome over Berlin)


(Me in the glass dome)


(Berlin wall)


(Victory Tower)





(Checkpoint Charlie)

bx

3 comments:

  1. Good pics, however your gourmet description of the market menu gives consideration that maybe you should be a food and drink critic/witer then you could carry on eating you way around the world,looking forward to seeing you x DOD x

    ReplyDelete
  2. jealous.com! I really want to go to Berlin. Will you go back with me? Or you could move there (for 12 months lol) and I could come visit?! Yes? xoxo

    Roll on NYE! x han

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, not sure if you were insulting me or paying a compliment there!

    Han: I would def want to return to Berlin again! xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete