Monday, August 3, 2009

Malaysia Day 1

I am staying in a hostel dorm with two Irishmen, an Englishman, an Egyptian, a Pakistani and a Bulgarian. It sounds like the start of a complicated joke.

The Egyptian guy is studying in Malaysia but his course has been put on hold because his university has been shut down with Swine Flu. The Pakistani is from Perth and is here for a holiday. The Irish guys are surprisingly boring, with one being an accountant and one being a computer technician. The Bulgarian speaks no English but seems to be nice and the English guy is a parachute instructor currently living in New Zealand.

I'm not going to inroduce the characters in the dorms everytime I write but it just shows as an example that it's a good way to meet some random and interesting people!

My first day in Kuala Lumpur was spent exploring the city and getting to grips with the public transport systems. About five minutes walk north of the hostel is the famous Petronas Towers which used to be the tallest building in the world till the Taiwan 101 building was finished. I walked there and had a look at them, you can go up to the bridge that connects the two towers together and I will probably go back and do that tomorrow.

I then headed on a train to little India and Chinatown. I spent the day exploring the markets and getting lost down all the side streets and looking at the architecture. I'm not normally very interested in buildings but it was amazing to walk past skyscrapers, 120 year old churches, colonial buildings, mosques and old arabic buildings all in one city. I eventually found myself at the Reggae Bar which Nikki suggested I check out. It was nice but drinks were more expensive than in Hong Kong so I did not stay there long. I am now back in the hostel and having some trouble uploading pictures from my day onto the blog. I will upload some soon!

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Glad you got there ok! so exciting that the travel blog has begun! Im going to be addicted to checking it!
    Nic xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, glad you got to Malaysia safely and the start of your travels are going well! Miss you.
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete