Wednesday, August 19, 2009

In Chiang Mai

We are now in Northern Thailand in the city of Chiang Mai. Getting here involved taking a plane from the east coast of peninsula Malaysia to the capital Kuala Lumpur, then another plane the next morning from Kuala Lumpur to Chiang Mai.

I was talking about this route to Jason in Australia and mentioned that I would be staying at the airport. "Awesome, your staying at Kuala Lumpur International Airport hotel? It's amazing!"

I'm sure that KLIA Hotel is amazing but no, we did not sleep the night there.

This was where Jen and I made our beds for the evening.








And it was surprisingly comfortable. We found a small corner of the airport where no one was walking around and I got seven hours of good sleep. Staying the night there saved the expense of traveling an hour into the city, finding a hostel then travelling an hour back again the next day.

When we arrived in Chiang Mai we found a hostel after sweating around the city for about 45 minutes with our backpacks on our shoulders. The first handful we tried were either too expensive or did not have any rooms but eventually we found an amazing hostel called 'Nocky', which is only 200 Baht per night (about 4.40p per night between us) for a twin room. It is only 6 months old and the rooms are clean, have hot water and Western toilets! No more crouching over a hole for me!

Our plans for the following few days are.

Day 1: Explore the city
Day 2: Take part in an all Day Thai cooking class
Day 3: Go swimming/riding/spend the day with Elephants
Day 4: Possible trek to see hill tribes


bx

5 comments:

  1. I know u stayed in the airport for a night but flying to kuala lumpur??? Who do u tihnk you are hey, what happened to getting buses everywhere?!! Glad ur having a good time! enjoy the elephants! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking forward to your culinary skills Ben when you get back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I feel every time I log on that I have to feed those damn fish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki: We did some investigating and the South Thailand border was not safe to cross either by bus or train because of religion and political problems. It was also cheaper to fly to KL and back to Chang Mai than take any other form of transport we could find so why not???

    Mum: Just did the cooking and I have to say I was pretty darn good! I made a Thai Green Curry and Coconut soup to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOOK FORWARD TO THE GREEN CURRY AND HOPE WE DONT DIE FOR IT XXXX

    ReplyDelete