Friday, September 11, 2009

The Temples of Angkor Wat

The ancient temples of Angkor Wat were so huge and detailed they left me sometimes walking around with my jaw open looking slightly confused and stupid.











You can't explore all the ruins in one day or even one week. If you approached a builder now and requested a similar complex to be built they would probably be seriously daunted at the idea. That it was started in 802AD then is impressive to say the least. Most incredible though is the carving that went onto nearly every brick and stone, the decoration and skill was what I never appreciated in pictures till I was exploring the alcoves and halls of the temples myself.

Other than the temples my other lasting image of Siem Reap will be riding a bike through traffic and seeing a baby of around 2 years old on the back of a moped with its mother. The toddler was staring at me so I waved and pulled a face. The baby then scowled and stuck out a small pudgy outstretched palm with the expectation of money.
The temples are incredible, the endless harassment and begging is a sad and often frustrating part that comes with them.

bx

PS. the third person in the pictures is a girl called Martha who we have been travelling with recently. She is an artist and if Jen or I are still for more than 10 minutes we get sketched!

5 comments:

  1. Great pics Ben. What a lot of wonderful memories you are going to have at the end of all this! I am very jealous and I'm sure if you can stand the hostels then so can I...... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would love it mum, but could you stand the occasional bedbugs????

    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long have I been married to your father?

    ReplyDelete
  4. THat was not his fault, the cat left the dead bird with bedbugs under the bed and thats how they got there. Or are you calling dad a bedbug? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the pic with u standing in front of a tree.

    ReplyDelete