Monday, September 21, 2009

Ben Tre

I love Vietnam.

I have only been here for about a week but I have already decided to admit it. It was staying in the southern town of Ben Tre that has tipped me over the edge.

What tourist attractions are in Ben Tre?
Nothing at all.

It was the friendly people in the town that made Ben Tre so unbelievable and I would advise anyone in the area to spend a day walking around its streets.

Everywhere you walk people would shout "hello"! And wave at you. It got to the point that I felt like a local celebrity. Jen and I must have replied hello at least 150 times in one day walking around.

Other friendly examples:

  • I was waiting for Jen to come out of the hotel and this little old lady beckoned me over to her bench and gestured me to sit down. She waved at me but could not speak English, she just wanted to offer me a seat.
  • A man and his daughter came up and started having a chat with me about where I was from and why I was in Vietnam. He offered advice on where was good to eat and then went on his way.
  • Jen and I were walking in a side street and a man stopped to talk to us. Within ten minutes we were walking with some of his family to the rooftop of a posh local hotel overlooking the Mekong River. The family purchased drinks for us and chatted about travel, family and what we thought about Vietnam.
  • I was on the bus and a man on the seat in front offered me some local cherries in a bag. I tried one and showed my satisfaction. He then purchased a whole bag from our next stop and gave them all to me!
These are just a few stories that have helped me to already decide that Vietnam is awesome.

The following day we journeyed further south to Can Tho where we went to visit the floating markets with some pictures below!



The floating market with ladies selling all sorts of different stuff.



My feet and river








This kid would sell all the fruit in the boat before he would give up his kitten. Spoilsport.



And finally this brings a whole new meaning to the word playing with your food. Our river guide came out of the kitchens with it at a restaraunt we docked at.

bx

No comments:

Post a Comment